Saturday, August 12, 2006

Embraced by the Arms of Deliverance


I love history. I have since I was little and my dad would tell me stories about when he was in World War II. Of course, he was careful about sharing things a child shouldn’t know.

Tricia Goyer was careful, too. She skillfully shared a part of the war that, to my knowledge, hasn’t been widely known. Without overly graphic intent, she opened my eyes to the horrors, the truth and bravery of my parents’ generation. And she did it well.

Arms of Deliverance, Goyer’s fourth novel set during WWII, takes you into the lives of three women, each dealing with her own identity. Katrine needs to hide who she is, Mary longs to acknowledge who she is, and Lee is discovering what she is made of. They are from very different worlds and, when their paths cross, the lives of these women become intricately intertwined. A Czech Jew involved with a Nazi officer, Katrine is far from the person she thought herself to be—and if her Nazi discovers her secret, more than her life is at stake. Mary and Lee are both female journalists given a rare opportunity to go overseas and report from the European theater of the war, but that’s where their similarities end.

Ms. Goyer has woven a compelling story I could not put down until I came to a very satisfying ending. I highly recommend Arms of Deliverance. BTW, click anywhere on the book's title in this review to link to the first chapter. You may have to scroll down a bit but it is well worth it for the great read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home